From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Lisa Lutman
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 10:29 AM
To: NWSciroccoList@groups.msn.com
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: My yearly engine/tranny rebuild saga... long

A bit of background info for those of you who haven't been following
along... A year ago, just before ND 2001 actually, I blew up my tranny. I
decided that at this time, it was a good time to put in a 2.0L and the shop
I took the car to was only too happy to oblige. Fast-forward a year later...

About 7 weeks ago, my motor started to knock... mmm... rod knock. I'm
finally experiencing the 16v woes I think. I decide to take the spare motor
I have laying around to Momentum to have rebuilt. I call the previous shop
that did the work on the car and the owner says "Wow, that's some bad luck
you're having. Have a nice day." Ummm... thanks. My spare motor also
coincidentally came from this shop in a round about way. The machine shop
discovers that this supposedly fine low mileage spare motor I have has a bad
rod and 3 stuck rings. Thank God I sent to be rebuilt. The supposedly fine
used head that I have from a friend also needs work they tell me. Bent
valves aren't good apparently.

So, I'm driving a fair distance from my house when my knocking finally
becomes a distinct clackety-clunk-knock and I have the car towed home at a
cost of $260 cdn. Frig. Serves me right I suppose. Thanks to 16volt for
rescuing me.

My motor came out of my car yesterday so I went to Momentum and we opened it
up and although I'm not super mechanic, I know that those bronze coloured
shavings in the oil can't be good. #1 rod and bearing are toast. Same with
the crank - toast. In the head, the valves are bent (saved you the valves
and the bearing for your collection 16volt). To make this whole experience
really fun, my tranny is also leaking from every seal ever put in it and the
2nd and reverse syncros are in need of replacement (and they'll throw a bolt
kit in there).

On the bright side, I'll finally get the headwork done that I wanted, I'll
have a tight bottom end, another new clutch and a really strong tranny.
We'll also do some other small performance mods too, although limited, since
my budget is long since blown.

Well, if you made it this far, thanks for reading!

Lisa
Vancouver, BC
87 2.0L 16V Scirocco