[tech] mk2 no start

  well, i'm in a bind here as my bentley and my haynes have both
disappeared and have not reappeared since the move. i suspect they're in
a box somewhere doing what-not (i'll let you know if i have a litter of
hay-ben manuals).
  i finally finished switching engines. i'm haveing the same problem
that i was originally...sort of. the car would run occasionally, but it
wouldn't necessarily start back up. it gets gas and the battery has
enough juice for just about anything. i replaced the coil, wires, and
plugs. cap and rotor were fine (note: the engine now in the car ran
before it was removed from the other car). the car just refuses to
start.
  i tried hooking up a test light to the coil wire and then cranking the
engine. no light what-so-ever. held it next to the head, same deal.
okay, that plus a couple other little things made me replace the engine
(good experience). now tonight (with the new motor in) i even try
replacing the ignition control unit. and i'm left with this: when
cranking, the car makes a *POPFF* sound and i get smoke coming from the
mixture hole in the fuel distributor. please note that i did replace the
timing belt. i lined up the dimple on the crank to the mark on the
intermediate shaft and the camshaft mark to the front edge of the valve
cover. is this wrong? like i said, can't find the damn books. also
checked and made sure when in the position that the distribuotr was in
no. 1 position. everything is hooked up except for an o/p switch and the
a/c.
  please, please help me. i'm so close, i can feel it. i just know that
it's something stupid. any and all help is appreciated. thanx.

--
 /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
< o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com