Power for amp through firewall?

I'm well on my way to installing an amp in my '84 Scirocco.  My next task is
routing the power cable for the amp through the firewall.  Where's the best
(i.e. easiest) place to do this?

It would make sense to go in on the driver's side, but it's waaay crowded
there, and it looks like I'd have to remove the fuse/relay panel just to get
somewhere that I could drill through the firewall.

The passenger's side is much less crowded, but it makes for a lot longer
path for the wire, since it'd be entering the passenger compartment on the
side opposing both my battery and where I plan to have the amp mounted
(driver's side hatch).  My 'roc still has AC, so I'd still have to do some
drilling to get the wire through.  Being able to see where the ventilation
intake comes through is awfully tempting, though.  (Just have to make sure I
seal it up really good.)

The above train of thought leads me to wonder about drilling in the same
area on the driver's side--near the Jetronic box.  Again, I'd have to seal
it up really good.

Thoughts?  Recommendations?  Warnings?

Thanx,
Mike Carlson