Knock sensor

Wes Brockway wrote:

> Well my miswiring did indeed take out my knock sensor. My FLAPS can order
> this for $62.75. Any used ones out there or someone know a better deal? I've
> checked our normal Scirocco sources and no one lists it online.

<http://www.germanautoparts.com> or <http://www.parts4vws.com> don't
have everything online, but an email quote will get you a price in a day
or two, most of the time. I would want to go with an OEM and not some
generic part from FLAPS for something like this.

> Next, I've never heard the engine ping probably because of the loud exhaust
> and running with the windows down, or my hearing is just that bad. Besides
> hearing it are there other indications of pre-detonation occurring?

What octane are you running, what advance on the dist, what altitude are
you at most of the time and what are the outside air temps, stuff like
that will influence whether, and how much pinging may be going on.

I could be wrong but lots of pinging may make the car run hotter than
normal but I am just entering into K/S territory this summer so I'm
playing catch up in diag detail.

TBerk