ebay scam

Ron, if you told people that, "That there cam came out of one a them
Europeeen engines what make 139hp, yessirreee" then somebody ought to call
you on it.  I can't really add morethan what Larry said:

>It's called "implication".
>He is NOT 100% in the right, he probably IS 100% within the law.

As for Larry's question:
>Is it our duty to protect the people who don't know the facts?
>I dunno.

I have to answer Yes.  The object of it is not to protect people from their
ignorance so much as call people out when they start taking advantage of
others' ignorance.  People with integrity don't take advantage of other's
ignorance.  The whole caveat emptor thing is just a sad commentary on how
well we have come to tollerate dishonesty.  I'm not saying we should expect
dishonesty to dissappear, just that we shouldn't be expected to tollerate it
or be indifferent about it.

Now that all of that has been said...

I wrote an e-mail to Steffan, suggesting that he should check the e-mails on
the list since they related to him.  The main reason I did this was because
I had chimed in with mroe than a couple of cents, and I'd rather him read it
so I wasn't doing so behind his back.  He deserves to hear what's being
said.

Steffan replied that he was a list member, but couldn't find the thread.  He
asked what the problem with the ad was, and so I told him I, and others,
thought it was misleading, etc.

We conversed via another round of e-mails and he then informed me that he
was pulling the cam auction off of eBay.  I haven't checked, but I'm sure he
did.  It's sounds as though he had no idea that the ad was misleading, but
that he did know it was the same as a US cam.  As I said before, I don't
know how you could write that ad and not see it as misleading, but I'll take
his word for it.

Whether he did something wrong, we may never know, but he did find the right
solution to it.

Dirk, I don't think we are being ethnocentric here.  For starters, the ad is
in English, and he lists only the shipping price to the US.  It's clear who
his target audience is.  As I explained to Steffan, the cam is european in
the sense that it is, well european, but it isn't "Euro" in the way the term
"Euro" is used (like it or not) to describe parts that are stock or only
available in Europe and not elsewhere.  Maybe it is crazy that this is what
the term "Euro" is associated with, but you can't say the association
doesn't exist in the minds of this ads target audience.

Steffan is a reasonable guy, I'm sure.  Heck, everyone I have met on this
list has been a reasonable guy or gal, and I'm glad to know you all.

Brian

>From: "BcH" <bhonnold@pac-cap.com>
>To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: RE: ebay scam (list etiquette)
>Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:23:28 -0700
>
>Please will all of you responding to messages in this and any other thread,
>see your way clear to removing all but the list e-mail address from your
>replies.
>
>There is no reason to send twice as much mail to those who have replied
>within the threads.
>
>Thanks
>
>BcH
>78 MkI Ragtop ABA 16vT boxes of parts

"Take your time, do it right. Be patient. ZEN baby."  Shawn Méze