Scirocco GTI

Behrle Hubbuch III wrote:

> Hi Everybody! I'm starting on a major project with my '79 Scirocco. The
> project involves swapping most of the drive train, suspension and wiring
> harness from an '84 GTI I found at a local junk yard. I'm open to any and
> all suggestions as to what else I should yank out of this car to complete
> the job. I will of course be putting in a new clutch pressure plate and
> throwout bearing,as well as a complete gasket set. But any electronic gizmos
> or items unique to the GTI that I'll need, please tell me! Any tech tips
> that will make the job easier would be great as well! I'm looking foreward
> to your input. (Behrle Hubbuch aka. Blur)
>
> ________

I did it to my 81, 1.7 --> 1.8 w/ big valves. And in a way I did it to
Al's 78 which means in his case we swapped in a 1.7 and changed points
to electrical ecu.

- Rabbit GTI has O2 sensor, depending on how much of the fuel system you
are willing to deal with you can add it or forgo it.

- Even if you stay with the non O2 early stuff you can and should grab
the ECU (and the Digital Idle Stabilizer module on top of it if there)
and the Distributor, the wire loom that runs between them. You will need
to snip ONE wire to get the ECU to Hall Sender loom out but proceed w/
caution because it can be done and it's kind of tangled around the
wiring you leave behind.

- GTI comes with Wide Open Throttle provisions, if you aren't doing
anything with the O2 and the fuel dist then ignore it but the throttle
body is larger. (see next)

- The Fuel Dist is better that the one you have now, if you can swing it
get the intake/throttle body along with the dual downpipe if you can
still attached to the motor. Also grab the fuel Dist and injector lines,
injectors too, disconnect it at the filter and return line, and run home
with the rest.

- If your 79 is a 5 speed you're OK, but if it's a four speed transaxle
to start with, you should grab the little half of a barbell shaped piece
on the bottom of the transfer rod, You can unscrew the 13 mm nut from
underneath the car. Also there is a metal rod that sends gear selection
to the Trans, it's shaped like an S or one of these ~. 5 speeds are
longer here than 4 speeds.

- On that note: 5 speed motor mounts on the trans side are different
than 4 speeds. Get the bracket.

- Uh, what else?  If I remember anything I'll add to this list.

hth,
TBerk