problems with the a1's

I have a hard time believing that the structural damage was due to the hard
braking.  The MK2 Scirocco has had the structural problem and, as far as I
know, one of the only drawbacks to owning the MK2 compared to the MK1 or
Rabbit.  As far as the brakes are concerned in general, as for the size and
weight of the vehicle, these little cars come overbraked from the factory so
I am assumming that any problems you may be having are due to a lack of
preventative maintenance or something just deciding to break at that time.
Which, actually makes sense, because regular tapping the break or coming to
a stop light is not going to test the limits of any braking system.  HTH!!

Dave