Radio wiring, what a nightmare... - NOT!

 --- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> a écrit : > Marc
scirocco Québec wrote:

> >  --- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> a écrit :
> > Andrew Wong wrote:
> > > >
> > > Also my antenna is really crappy
> > > and I can barely get good recption.
> > >
> > > - Make a good spot or find the factory ground
> > > location (under the
> > > steering wheel, dash  is a common place) to
> ground
> > > the radio's CASE.
> >
> > Common grounding point is the secret.
>
> Which secret is being answered? (Not being pissy,
> just want a more
> complete answer)O

The secret for a good radio installation. To prevent
BZZZZ and stuff. Hope this is a bit more complete
answer...

> > > - Ant tip Two: From Radio Shack or equiv. obtain
> a Y
> > > adapter splitter and a smallish flexi rubber
> Ant.
> > > Use the two to add an additional antenna and
> tuck it
> > > up behind the Glove Compartment.
> > > Really good for crappy tuners in an otherwise
> nice radio.
> > >
> > > hth,
> > > TBerk
> >
> > Not true.
> >
> > Use only one antenna. A roof mounted 16V style, or
> > regular fender mounted one.
> >

> Worked for me.  This is not a fix all, it is an
> exception to a specific
> dilemma.

If it works... It will not damage the radio, so good
for your. It is just that often, it is a workaround
the original problem, instead of fixing the actual
problem.

> > It requires extensive knowledge and test equipment
> > make multi antenna systems work. If you don't, you
> run
> > way more risks to harm the radio signal, than to
> > improve it.
> >

> This is true, but if you add the antenna to an
> existing setup it will
> help. If things are fine you don't need it. To be
> very specific it
> allowed my otherwise fine head unit to keep a lock
> on a station in
> downtown metro areas and in a certain shadow driving
> down highway 280.
> The regular (new btw) antenna by itself wasn't
> enough.

How will it help? The signal gets added by the second
antenna, that is true, but unless your transmission
line is tuned, your are probably 95% chances that the
signal gets added out of synch, so you get nulls back
into the radio's front end. The best way is to stick
the antenna cable into a spectrum analyzer, and see if
it really improves the signal.

> > Make sure that your antenna cable is in good
> > condition. That it is not nicked, or has sharp
> bends
> > into it. If so, it has to be replaced, as it will
> no
> > longer carry efficiently the radio signal through
> it.
> > Simple electrical continuity with a VOM is not a
> good
> > test for any radio cable/antenna. Make sure that
> > connectors are factory made. Home made connectors,
> > splicing, twisting wires, will definitelly harm
> the
> > signal.
> >
> > Cheers.
> > Marc
>

> Good advice.
>
> TBerk

For all I know, sometimes a coat hanger makes a good
antenna (metal, not plastic of course) .

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco Slegato