Radio wiring, what a nightmare...

Marc scirocco Québec wrote:

>  --- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> a écrit :
> Andrew Wong wrote:
> > >
> > Also my antenna is really crappy
> > and I can barely get good recption.
> > > =====
> > > -Andrew Wong
> >
> > - Make a good spot or find the factory ground
> > location (under the
> > steering wheel, dash  is a common place) to ground
> > the radio's CASE.
>
> Common grounding point is the secret.

Which secret is being answered? (Not being pissy, just want a more
complete answer)

> > - Ant tip Two: From Radio Shack or equiv. obtain a Y
> > adapter splitter and a smallish flexi rubber Ant.
> > Use the two to add an additional antenna and tuck it
> > up behind the Glove Compartment.
> > Really good for crappy tuners in an otherwise nice radio.
> >
> > hth,
> > TBerk
>
> Not true.
>
> Use only one antenna. A roof mounted 16V style, or a
> regular fender mounted one.

Worked for me.  This is not a fix all, it is an exception to a specific
dilemma.

> It requires extensive knowledge and test equipment to
> make multi antenna systems work. If you don't, you run
> way more risks to harm the radio signal, than to
> improve it.

This is true, but if you add the antenna to an existing setup it will
help. If things are fine you don't need it. To be very specific it
allowed my otherwise fine head unit to keep a lock on a station in
downtown metro areas and in a certain shadow driving down highway 280.
The regular (new btw) antenna by itself wasn't enough.

> Make sure that your antenna cable is in good
> condition. That it is not nicked, or has sharp bends
> into it. If so, it has to be replaced, as it will no
> longer carry efficiently the radio signal through it.
> Simple electrical continuity with a VOM is not a good
> test for any radio cable/antenna. Make sure that
> connectors are factory made. Home made connectors,
> splicing, twisting wires, will definitelly harm the
> signal.
>
> Cheers.
> Marc

Good advice.