HELP!!! i broke my car [Clutch Cable]

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of MrAudi
Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2002 4:32 AM
To: scirocco-mail list
Subject: HELP!!! i broke my car

Well the good news is I smoked the primer grey rice burning Honda
Accord.
The bad news is I broke my car doing it........
After our encounter I was getting off the highway and went to downshift
into
4th. The clutch peddle went to the floor and did not disengage the
clutch.
My first thought was that the adjustment mechanism on the cable broke,
as it
has happened in the past. But when I got home and looked closer I found
that
was not the case. There was however, a ton of play in the cable. I
adjusted
it out and now the peddle will not move. I'm prettyt sure at this piont
that
I will have to pull the tranny to fix it, but any clues as to what might
have broke????

Jason Neubold
85 Maroon 8v
86 Tornado Red 16v
85 Tornado Red Audi Coupe GT

It could be the "stop tube" for the cable, that is spot welded to the
pedal cluster...

Look where the cable goes through the firewall...

If that is the case, you can use an A2 GTI clutch cable puck that sits
against the firewall, to act as a new stop for the cable.

If that's not it, it could also be the little lever inside the transaxle
that actuates the release bearing, which acuates the clutch push rod,
and then the thrust plate on the pressure plate.

HTH!

Peter