No power under 3000 rpm

Ryan-
  Perform a full tune-up, you'll find the problem.
16.99?  Well, what 'Roc do you have?  That time may not be so terrible.
MkI 8v 1.8 NA = mid 15's  Same car on 5lbs boost = low 14's
MkII 16V (and not all that crisp) high 15's.
(This is at Carlsbad Raceway, where mud and snow tires are sometimes
required on the start line....)
Larry