No power under 3000 rpm

I went to the drag strip today, and ran a disappointing best of 16.99...
what's everyone running here?  Anyway, on the way home something went wrong
with the car, and now it has no power until 3000 rpm at which point it bucks
a few times and then kicks in... it doesn't seem to be missing, and its got
new plugs, wires, timing belt, timing was adjusted, yadda yadda - all the
stuff needed to run nicely.  There is a funny noise coming from the timing
belt though.  It was running fine at the drag strip, though.  What did I
break now?
I'm beginning to get discouraged - even without this latest problem, a best
time of 16.99?  Yuck!  I must be losing power somewhere.