[Elec] Damn dash ground- FIXED!!!

 Ends up the cluster was grounded through the speedo cable which had the
insulation rubbed away by the clutch pedal, and with the speedo cable
discon'ed at the at the EGR box after it started making a grinding/clicking
noise (like from being bent by the clutch pedal...) it couldn't run ground
through the tranny, but through the clutch pedal. After pushing the clutch in
an inch, no gound.
  To repair, I used a flat gound strap (10ga) and attached it from the spade
on the speedo plate to the daisy wheel ground behind the dash. I also made a
ground 'patch' for the printed circuit to bypass the burnd out spot that
MKI's all seem to have, from a brass  nut to the speedo plate.
  Since I had the dash apart, I went after a few damaged wires
(shorts-in-waiting), and rebuilt the light switch, and everything electrical
I disconnected was cleaned and given a healthy dose of dilectric grease.

Carl
77rocco
89fox

 green536@hotmail.com writes:

<< ok tryt his then. take the plastic surround piece out from around the
 cluster; then fiddle with the white plug on the right side of the cluster
 whilst pushing int he clutch with the lights on. does it still do this?