diesel valve springs

I'm not sure what you mean by milder state of tune overall, but yes,
diesels do generally operate at lower rpms than gas engines.

As far as spring rate goes 1.6 NA and TD motors do use different inner and
outer valve springs than the 8V and 16V gassers.  As to spring rate, I'd
have to go out to the shed and squash a few and compare them...  :)

My guess is that due to a more radical cam profile (in part to support the
23:1 compression ratio of the indirect injection VW diesels) the diesel
springs may well be more durable than their gasser counterparts. Somewhere
I had diesel cam profile information, which I have misplaced, but there
has to be a good deal of lift to maximize the amount of air in the
unthrottled diesel's cylinders.

If I find any data to support this theory I'll post it - in the meantime
it's just conjecture.

Drew

Drew MacPherson
'84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel
'99 Vento TDI
'87 Jetta GLI pretender winterbeater