Rocco stories

ok, my first indoctrination to VWs was my Grandfather's 2dr Diesel Rabbit
that he used as a work vehicle. I always kinda liked the dash, but that was
about it. The thing (still) doesn't have enough power to get out of its own
way. I vaguely remember my mom having a 4dr Rabbit (gas) for a few years.
And I spent a few thousand miles in the back seat of that thing. Then that
was it for a while.

When I turned 17, my dad hooked me up with a Porsche 914 due to my incessant
begging for him to 'fix that cool car up'. So he put the 1600cc engine from
the Karman Ghia in it (he took the 2000cc for his Ghia - which is for sale -
$8k=STEAL) and that was my first car. I toasted the tranny in less than 6
months and at the time he was fixing up an old public works truck. A '79
Ford Courier. Damn I miss that truck. Got into 2 accidents in it. Neither
were my fault, but after the second one I was like, "F*&^CK this!, I'm
getting rid of it!". I still miss that truck. It NEVER let me down anywhere,
well, except the time the timing belt broke in front of my high school...but
that's not important.

I took the insurance money from both accidents (they both occurred within 3
months of each other) and bought an '83 Rabbit GTi. I miss that car too. I
beat the holy hell out of that thing. Literally. I used to kick it when it
would pull that VW "I-need-to-be-worked-on" shit. But it lasted me a good
many miles and years. Finally, in my non-mechanical stupidly, I broke a CV
joint and gave up. I sold it for (you may flame me for this) $100. RUNNING.
I'm still pissed at myself. I could use that engine/tranny.

------>Scirocco related:
While I was in the Navy, and driving my Rabbit, I was on the lookout for
another ride. I checked out Saturns and even a Hyundai *something* coupe (it
was sporty). But then, when I was driving past this used car lot, I saw what
I HAD TO HAVE....and I'll never forget her. It was an 8v. The shit brown
with the small wing. I test drove her. I was in love. I had to have it. But
alas, I had NO credit, and my folks said "no" to my load/cosign requests, so
that Roc was not to be. But the obsession was planted. I went through 4 more
vehicles: an '81 Courier, an '80 Courier, an '89 Ford Probe (4cyl), and a
'91 Ford Probe (6cyl)- I still miss that car too.....she NEVER left me
stranded. And I rode that bitch HARD. I wound up flooding her in a flash
flood. Water in the intake=bad scene. But, had it not been for that- I'd
have never got my Rocs.

I had just paid off my Probe, so I had a little insurance money to play
with, and it was either a Corrado/Toyota MR2/or a Scirocco. I wisely chose a
Scirocco. Mainly 'cause I knew I could work on it. I found her in the Auto
Trader online in Orlando and the rest......well....the rest is on my
website...........

I love these cars. *sniff* I love you guys too!
This was the first e-mail list I was ever exposed to. And it really set the
standards for everything else. You guys are the best!

Dan Snow
Tam-pa, FL
'81 Rabbit Sportruck
'87 16v Scirocco (almost 2 years in my care!)
'00 Jetta
http://home.earthlink.net/~danws69/index.html