Rocco Won't Start

Hi.

Last week my rocco didn't start. Eventually i got it started
when i shorted across the power/ground wire on the harness
that plugs into the Ignition Switch.. I'm not positive that this
actually fixed the problem, though it did work once more when
i got a speeding ticket on the way home (laser trap) and stopped
the car while i waited about 15 minutes for the ticket to get written
up (great luck eh? ;p).

Anyways.. After that i had it out one day.. started it about 5 times
(went to autocross) and it had zero problems for whatever reason
(must have been exited to be in the autox). The next day it refused
to start at all.. and connecting the wires didnt' do anything.

The resistance along the wire from the battery to the starter solenoid
is reasonable (>8v) so the wiring is probably not the culprit. It's
most likely either the Ignition Switch or the Solenoid. Since I called
around and can't get the solenoid without getting the entire starter ($$$)
i'm hesitant to buy it unless i'm positive that it is the problem.

The car always started perfectly and relatively quickly right away before i
had problems.

Is it possible to clean the Solenoid like in the air-cooled types? Is there
anyway i
can test the Ignition Switch or dismantle it and clean it? (i'd really hate
to have to change the keys and would like to avoid it if possible)

Thanks for any help offered..

Curtis
84 8v S