Cherry-red exhaust manifold - need suggestions.

The scirocco is back together.  And runs - sort of.

After 3 months of fiddling around with it, everything
(almost) is reconnected.

What was done:
G-Grind Cam, new coolant hoses, new fuel injector
0-rings, new cylinder head & valve cover gaskets, new
MC, new fuel lines.

Now my exhaust is smoking.  the pipes - not out the
tailpipe.  I thought it was excess oil / simple green
burning off, but I crawled under it, and after 10 min
or so of running, the exhaust manifold was bright red,
and smoke was coming off of the exhaust pipes.  There
seems to be a higher flow of exhaust coming out of the
tailpipe than before I took it all apart.

It won't hold idle (another problem for another time)
but it will run smoothly with some push on the
accelerator.  There are a couple wires not connected,
but the only one that may be of significance is a
green wire with a brown 1-connector male plug that
comes out of the firewall in a bundle between the
cylinder head and MC.  It might reach to the back of
the cyl head, but not much farther - any ideas?

My timing is probably off, due to the new camshaft,
but not a whole lot.  It's close to where it was with
the old cam.

Help?

Thanks

=====