Stress bars legal in FSP, was Re: Front stress bar opinions

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Dan Bubb wrote:

> I'm curious how you manage to run in FSP with the Autotech 4 point.
> SCCA National Solo rules, para 14.2 C states (in part)
> "Strut bars may be mounted only transversly across the car from upper
> right to upper left suspension mounting point and from lower right to
> lower left mounting point. No other configuration is permitted."
> That seems to exclude not only the Autotech, but also the factory 16V stress bar when applied to an 8V car.
> So, is anybody running these at the national level???
> Dan
But, the autotech et al stress bars do fit that rule.

they are from BOTH lower suspension mounting points transversely to both
lower suspension mounting point, but the suspension, though it mounts to
the car in two separate brackets, it is only one side of the suspension so
both mounts could be considered the lower "mount" for the left
strut/a-arm.

In other words, the autotech subframe goes from the left a-arm mounting to
the right a-arm mounting transversely. though the bar itself has
non-transverse parts, it goes transversely only. though the a-arm mounting
has 3 bolts 2 close the other a foot or so away, it only mounts one a-arm.

Think of upper strut bars that bolt on to in front of and behind the strut
bearing. Same thing only those two bolts are closer together, but still
one mount.

The 16v sciroco bar, however, would only be legal on a car that is on the
same line in the interchangeability rules in the appendix, which is 16v
scirocco, golf, jetta, so really its only legal on the 16v roc, as it does
indeed attach other than at a suspension mounting point & wont fit the
other cars it is allowed onto.

thats my interpretation, anyone else care to comment?

take care,

Steve

             Fashion Twins, activate! form of: a lemming.
                      http://westfailure.org