Throttle Cable

Anyone have any personal experiance rplacing one of these.  MK1 and 16v have
the same issue for me.  The grommet on the firewall has a plastic inset or
sleve that is flared enough on each side that it wont come out (in one
piece), so I found out.  Anyway I will likely have to buy another one now
but will have the same problem installing it.
On the pedal end is the brass looking fishook thing that hooks on to the
pedal.  Even this is too fat to pull through.  The other end has all the
attachments for the throttle.  I broke the grommet/sleeve getting the 16v
donor cable out but the original MK1 is still in there, nervous to try that
one.  Any Help?
Thanks
Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion - Engine in, now the hard part
Electrical  : (
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"