From: Sushi Grade Pork [mailto:dan@angband.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 9:17 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Diff talk...

I think you misread the idea.  He doesnt want to weld the gears in place
and build a spool, he wants to seal the diff from the regular tranny
lube, then fill it with a very viscous oil (Ever see a bottle of
"Transmission Honey"?)  so that there was more internal resistance to the
diff putting power to the loose wheel.  From what I've seen of a
disassembled diff, it wouldnt be a terrible job for a half decent welder
with some metal working equipment.  Don't know if it would be practical,
though.  Personally, I'd like someone to do this and use ferromagnetic
fluid instead of gear oil.  Electronically variable diff slip, with full
lockup capability at the flick of a switch. :)

Dan

> > So has anyone ever thought of taking they're diff out, welding the
housing
> > shut around the spider gears, tapping a hole and plug into it, and
filling
> > it with, oh say, 50,000wt silicon oil? Liquid limited slip diff with 0
> > breakable limited slip parts (besides leaks)....

Listen, this SHAFT stuff is bull.   Tech hasn't been, isn't currently,
and never will be a SHAFT.  You want someone to accept that SHAFT
bologna?  Go spout it on git.talk.social.  We're winners here, Mikey.
Winners.  We don't buy into this SHAFT nonsense.

                --  Steve Simonsen