Welded diff, was: Diff talk...

I saw someone doing this with a Nissan Sentra SE-R for auto-x.  The car
seemed to go very well.  However if you do this the car will push like a pig
in the first part of a corner, or the part where you are not on the gas,
because both the inside and outside wheel will be turning the same speed.

I bought a limited slip from OMP a few years ago.  Basically all they did
was put 2 metal blocks betweent he spider gears with springs in between
them.  It seems like a good idea but the materials they used are crap.
Their metal blocks are way too soft to be rubbing on case hardened gears.
In the 4 years I've owned it I've had to rebuild it twice.  In 1 season of
Auto-x and only driving it to the local events the blocks had 0.05" of wear
on each face.  This is enough to relieve the spring pressure on the gears
and make it useless.  Mileage was less then 300 miles and I did 5 to 7
events, 5/6 runs each.  This diff might be OK for roadrace use but is not up
to Auto-x duty.

  I'm getting ready to put it back into the car again.  This time I've
designed my own blocks and made them out of A2 tool steel.  They have been
heat treated to 48/50 rockwell, so they will be harder than the original
1018 steel blocks that it came with, but not hard enough to hurt the gears.
I've also made the design so as to be able to use the factory diff parts
with it (springs, brass ring, circlip).  If it works I'll be happy to
forward the Auto-cad prints.  You'l need to find a machine shop to make it
for you.