need pictures

If the area around the fuel pump was rusted at all, they probably did use
wire ties. there's almost no way to fix this area if rotted...Don't know why
VW chose such an exposed area close to the wheel wells to put rubber lines
and fuel components.  When you remove the old fuel pump or the tank,
everything seems to fall apart, especially the container for the fuel pump,
as the foam insulation seems to trap moisture against the metal and rubber.
(all that for a little noise insulation for the pump...)  Any GOOD mechanic
can use wire ties properly(I know that seems like a contradiction in terms,
but mine was held for a year like that in my Rabbit GTI) to make sure that
everything is held in the right place.  you might have to wing it or find one
in good shape, like someplace where they don't use tons of salt on the roads.

Patrick Boyle
'87 Scirocco 16v
'87 Cabriolet
'84 Rabbit GTI