QUAIFE! (was Fiberglass Hoods)

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Neal Tovsen wrote:

> Something doesn't jive here. The whole point of a Quaife is to more
> effectively put the power to the ground, right? How could a dyno show LESS
> power with a Quaife? Theoretically, it should only show more if you were
> getting wheelspin on the dyno rollers before, but it certainly shouldn't be
> less! There are three explanations:
>
> The Quaife materially increases drivetrain losses. It isn't a viscous unit
> or a clutch unit...it's all gears, so that rules out mechanical losses. The
> only way I see this happening is if it weighs a lot more than the stock
> diff. Does it? My tranny came with a Quaife. I've lifted it plenty (still
> getting shoved around the garage since it isn't in the car), but I haven't
> lifted a non-Quaife tranny in a while.

I vote for this one, but you didn't look in the right manner for the
drievtrain losses...

with the atb feature, perhaps before all the power went to one wheel, so
there were fewer losses as only 1 tires friction and 1 tires bearings &
CV's materially influenced power, now you are forcing the car to use an
extra set of CV's & wheel bearings wether it wants to or not. I would
think that transferring the power left to right would take some friction &
therefore power loss.

But, if getting the power to the ground where its useable means there is a
little less of it, does it really matter? Faster is faster even if
faster has lower dyno numbers. HP at the flywheel will be the
same... but bragging rights may be diminished ;)

take care,

Steve

             Fashion Twins, activate! form of: a lemming.
                      http://westfailure.org