expansion tank

Just thinking.  On my 86, I took out my AC condenser and now I get much
more air to my radiator.  I only have the stock water temp gauge.
Before, the temp would sometimes get to the halfway mark, now, it stays
at 1/4 most of the time and got up the 1/3 once.  I have a small crack
in the top of the radiator where the mounting clip goes in.  I lose
maybe a few cc of coolant from the crack (my coolant level is still 3/4
of the way to full from when I filled it 2 months ago).  I'm going to do
a ABA swap.

 If I add a regular oil cooler and get a non expansion tank radiator,
will I be staying in about the same cooling level?

I like the idea of fewer hoses, but I don't want to hurt anything.

--
Kervin
80 1.7 8v Crack free dash