Buying a Roc...

Krazy Horse wrote:

> hey everyone! i am seriously thinking about buying another 16v that a
> guy has for sale for $500. he says it needs a new battery and starter
> cable. he also mentioned that it had a cold start problem at times.
> the clock stopped at 121,000; he claims he has only put on 3-400
> miles. any ideas on what the cold start could be?
<snip>
> -Craig

Besides the ground strap from the block to the bulkhead and the battery
to starter I would bring some dielectric grease (or at least some
Vaseline) and one of those battery post brush type cleaners and go to
town on the clamps and connections, inc. the Ground strap from battery
to chassis.

I might bring and change the air filter/spark plugs before a long trip,
or at least bring spares.

I'd keep the fuel at 3/4 or above if possible to keep the junk at the
bottom of the tank from getting in the way and to help the pumps as best
you can with delivery.

Pulling the filter off with minimal oil loss (prelube the new one's
gasket and get ready for a quick switch with an old towel stuffed under
to catch drips) and top it off with some good 20w50 (I know it's cold
out, maybe make it 10w30) to avoid all new oil with it's detergent
properties from loosening up too much on the journey.

hth,
TBerk