Stolen Hi-Fi Components

Lexan (one of the trade names for polycarbonate material) is not that
expensive.  It is relatively soft, however, and its use in a roll-up/down
window would very quickly scratch it, as would multiple washings.  There are
some polycarbonates that can be had with a hard coating, but it is pricey
and still not as abrasion-resistant as glass.  The scumbags would just bust
the windshield if the side windows were unbreakable.
You can defeat all the thiefs some of the time, and some of the thiefs all
of the time, but you cannot defeat all the thiefs all the time.  I forget
who said that, possibly me.....
The only answer is to not have anything that anyone else would want, which
is a depressing solution.

Larry  sandiego16V

> Seems that allot of rocco's are getting broken into for Hi-Fi
> components.  Be it the Alpine complete system or the kraco K-mart
> special.  Most of these thefts are resulting in torn out door handles or
> broken glass that's hard to replace.
>
> What would be the chance of making new windows out of Lexan (sp?)/
> bullet proof glass.  I know in the past it was very difficult, but today
> we aren't looking to stop a bullet, but deter some 15 year old
> punk-asses from swiping what we've worked hard for.  I think if we
> replaced the side windows with lexan it could stop allot of break-ins so
> long as we also use the armor door plates.  I haven't looked in a long
> time, but how expensive is lexan?  would it be more money then it's
> worth?  Just some thoughts since I know some of the glass is getting
> hard to find and the rubber for it as well.

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!