Cat Back installation

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:02:23 -0700 "Ken" <mcfly67@qwest.net> writes:
> This would be a question for a MK1 Scirocco but the MK2 may be
> similar.
> The largest piece of the system is the 6'long or so portion that
> goes between the muffler and the cat.  It has an agressive "zig-zag in
it
> near the rear where it goes up and over the axle beam near the drivers
> side rear wheel.  The front 2/3 of this log piece is fairly straight
and
> includes a small "pre-muffler" or resonator.
> Question.  Do you have to drop the axle beam, at least on one side
> to thread this through?

I'm trying to remember when I installed mine and I don't remember having
to drop the axle, the way you have to on '84 1/2 and up...

Maybe the car isn't high enough in the air, I did mine over a grease
pit...
You really have to angle the cat to muffler resonator pipe to get it
started over the axle.

At this point it would probably be quicker to just go ahead and drop the
axle down a little.
You don't have to disconnect any brakelines, and if you use a floor jack
to lower the axle, it's pretty easy.

> Is it mathematically posible to guide it over the axle from the rear?

No.

> I have been struggling with it for a while and it seems
> no amount of rotating and jiggleing will accomplish this.
> I know a few of you have done this exact same thing.  This is a
> 2.25" cat-back for MK1.
> 16v conversion (that shouldnt matter on this portion of the exhaust
> though)
> Thanks
> Ken
> 1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
> 16v conversion - Engine in, now the hard part
> Electrical  : (
> VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"

HTH!

Peter  http://thescirocco.com - Discount dealer - http://tttuning.com -
Peloquin - http://quaifeamerica.com/ - http://www.autotech.com/ -
http://www.magnecor.com/ - http://ronalusa.com - Bear, DE 19701
'79 Scirocco 16V, '81 Scirocco, '83 GTI,  '84.5 Scirocco
'84 GTI - SciRollers: '79 , '84 , '88
http://feedbyte.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.