78 rocco,... fuel pump ?'

Here is the latest.... I've  decided that the 78 Rocco I have needs to be
sold.   Too many other projects and my 88 rocco needs new goodies.... so  I
go to crank her up and .... nada.   But I don't hear the fuel pump so I
pulled out my test light and :

-    first there is no f/p relay on this car,..it has the "update" wiring
that basically has a fuse inline from a wire that gets pwr. when the
ignition is switched to "on".
    -I have pwr. at the fuse...(both sides)
    -fuse is not blown
    -I have pwr. at the pump.  (I double checked this one)
    -so I figure I have lost grnd at the pump.   Ran cont. test from end
that attaches to pump to end that is "screwed" into sheet metal behind pass.
seat.....   No problems there.   So I put the meter up to the pos. side on
the pump and I'm getting just under 12v......
wtf?

Wouldn't the pump still turn on even if I didn't have "exactly" 12v's?
As far as the pump itself.... I had horrible starting problems with this car
until I replaced the pump about 3-4 month ago.  Brand new Bosch unit from
Adirondack.    Is my thinking correct saying that the F/P has taken a shite?
Thanks,
Chris