Sunroof Leak woes

So, I finally go sick of bailing out my passenger side footwell every time
it rained.  I was sure the leak was coming from the sunroof, becasue it
was wet under the back seat, and in the trunk as well.  I was able to blow
through the drain tubes with no problem, so I figured that one had either
come off it's mount in the sunroof well, or had developed a crack.  I took
down the rear part of the headliner (what a bitch of a job), and found
plenty of water there, confirming it was coming from the sunroof. The
drain tubes were hooked up to the spigots, and do not have any holes or
cracks in them.  However, I did find 4 holes in the bottom of the
sunroof well that appear to have been placed there by the factory. They
don't connect to any tubes, and there is in fact no way to connect them to
anything.  They just dump water onto the headliner, where it runs down the
pillars and into the footwell.  So, questions:

1) Has anyone seen this "feature" before?
2) Is anything supposed to cover or plug these holes?
3) Will anything terrible happen if I cover them over with a blob of
silicone?

FWIW, I have an '85. The felt seal around the sunroof isnt in great shape,
maybe I should replace it, but I'd always heard it was more for wind noise
than water sealing.

Dan