power loss at high rev's

ok, I was having a bit of fun with some punks in a toyota pickup of all
things and noticed something that I thought was a bit odd.  Now I don't run
the car (88 rocco 16v) real hard that often so I've not had too many chances
to notice this problem.  I took off in first and about the time I hit
5200rpm the rev's continued to climb but the power stopped like someone hit
the switch for off.  I shifted to second and found the same problem however
third seemed to pull passed that point.

I know there is a rev limiter, but does it change for each gear or do I have
something more sinister going on? Start of clutch problems maybe?  Now I
don't flogg my car like this very often at all, and I haven't had to do any
major engine work to the car since I got it this past March.  Odometer is
broken so I have no ide how many miles are truly on the car, odometer
stopped back in 1996 according to carfax report and the PO moved all around
the North Eastern states.  My guess is somewhere around 150k-200k miles on
the car since the odometer stopped just a bit shy of 100k.  The car gets
really good gas milage, is in needs of tranny fluid change just cause I
haven't since I bought it and alot of small things.  But this just struck me
as odd since I've seen so many posts on the list about the cars pulling
strong to the 6k rpm mark or better.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
as I will have some time tomorrow to play with the car.

William Snyder
88 Scirocco 16v (the void)
89 Cabriolet 8v (pretty bunneh)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)