vibrating steering wheel

I have removed the steering wheel, and everything
looks normal.  There is spacing between where the
steering wheel and the column join.  Does there need
to be some grease there to fill in the spacing?  The
movement of the steering wheel isn't reall a shaking.
It rocks from the left side to the right if I apply
pressure, as if it were teedering on something.

thnx