16v head on a 1.7L engine

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Jerry Carter wrote:

> is it possible? better yet, is it easy?this is my cheapass (sorry Ron) way
> of slowly updating/upgrading my car. I'd just like to know if it's been
> done, or even if it can be done?

It is possible and easy... but not cheap...

Just slapping the head on would give you like 7 or 8:1 CR, okay for a
turbo.

But, still easy enough, buy some $600 custom built forged racing pistons
to raise the CR, and then you have a 1.7 liter 16v motor.

Now, why would someone do this? i have no idea, though i think it has been
done to get a hotter motor into some racing classes that restrict one to a
1.5-1.7 vw motr, but allow unlimited head mods...

If you are a cheapass, get a good used 16v 1.8 bottom end, probably be $50
or free, that would build a much better 16v motor.

A good bolt on for your 1.7 would be a gti solid lifter big valve head.

take care,

Steve

             Fashion Twins, activate! form of: a lemming.
                      http://westfailure.org