Engine Block questions...

There's a guy I know selling his 2 liter block from
his Golf GTI.  He said it's an 8v Audi 3a block which
is the same as a 9a except for the pistons.

I don't know much or anything about engine block
codes, differences of internal components - rods,
cranks, pistons.  Is this worth getting?  Is it okay
to run with these pistons?  Will it pretty much bolt
right up and run?  Am I asking for trouble?

He says it needs to be rebuilt.  I can do this.

If all this is good, what's a good price to offer?

Thanks.

Russ