[Mk1gti] on "euro" injection.....

I'll take a stab here, I would say your assumption that 'more fuel' = 'more
power' could be argued.  From what I know: the o2 sensor keeps the A/F ratio
at stoich for the greatest amount of power, economy and emissions at normal
conditions, except for WOT.  The O2 has less sensitivity at WOT, so the full
throttle enrichment runs a fuel map to predict how much fuel it will need.
I think the only way to adjust WOT fueling is to use an EGT gauge.

Your euro fuel injection, probably has worse overall economy/emissions and
probably power b/c of the lack of an o2 sensor.  I'm not sure *exactly* what
the thicker lip of the fuel dist 'cone' does, but it may have something to
do with how much or at what speed, air flows through it, since that's where
the metering plate actually tells CIS how much fuel to provide to the
injectors.  But, I would think I thinner lip would provide more air (and
fuel) due to its larger opening - but then again, a small opening would
actually increase velocity, right?  As far as which is more important,
velocity or volume of air at WOT, I'm not sure - I would say velocity -
which would follow the thicker lip theory.

So I think the only difference in the end is how either system handles WOT
conditions.  I think for the street, I would stick with the lambda system,
b/c I can't see any real worthwhile gain in hp b/t the two, over stuff like
emissions and mileage for a street car.  For a race car, I don't know, I
know some racers pull the o2 sensor, and tune the car with an EGT and run it
that way - possibly the only way to know exactly what's going on inside the
car - since economy/emissions are not an issue.
Of course the other way, would be to put both on a dyno.

As far as shimming the control press. reg., the book 'Bosch Fuel Injection'
by Robert Bently publishing has some good info on CIS tuning, and may have
something about this, but I don't remember it that well. I could check and
find it if you're interested in getting the book for that reason - either
way it's a good book for learning about Bosch FI.

PJ