Wheel Bearing woe's

--- Calimus <calimus@techography.net> wrote:
> Ok, I started having a wonderful constant noise
> coming from my front end
> last week.  So Saturday I picked up a new set of
> bearings (damn they are
> big).  I'm pretty sure it's a bearing problem as I
> am not getting the
> tail tell click-click-click of a CV-Joint problem.
>
> Now I have most of the system torn down, but if I'm
> correct, there seems
> to be a snap ring holding the bearing in, but I'm
> having a hard time
> telling if that's what it is (my lighting kinda
> sucks).

There are snap rings on both sides of the bearing.

> Also, I'd like to really thank the designer of the
> system for making it
> such a PITA to get the damn bearing out.

It's not too bad if you have the right tools.

  For those
> that haven't had to
> do this, invest in a spring compressor cause you
> will need it.

This is not needed with the right tool.

  Also a
> 30mm socket is needed to take the CV-shaft retaining
> nut off the
> spindle.  I hope these things don't go often cause
> this is on thing I
> don't want to do again for at least another 100k
> miles.
>
> William

I have a Schley wheel bearing puller. I bought it from
Techtonics years ago for under $200. It has paid for
itself many times now in savings from not having to
pay someone else.

I also suggest a good snap ring plier - those snap
rings are big! I use a Snap-on plier for this.

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)