Can you take apart the rear shock assembly without a spring compressor?

I know I could on my A2, but I'm not sure about the
A1's...

Finally got my koni's and I need to split them off
from the Autotech springs they came with (which are
for sale btw, fit any 8v) then take apart the stuff on
my car currently...

I have mystery lowering springs up front and stock
springs in the rear.  It's the stock stuff I'm worried
about, I shouldn't need a compressor for the lowering
springs...

-josh

=====
Josh Wyte