[mk2][8v] Clunk Clunk

--B_3092903865_5774647

Clunking is usually not used to describe the sound from CV=B9s, the sounds
they make are due to being internally worn, and as the joint moves while
turning, the steel balls inside move over the worn part. It is usually hear=
while turning, but is always depentant on the speed of rotation.

Many things cause clunking up front.  Usually items are worn and allow play
between large heavy components, check motor mounts, control arm bushings,
sway bar bushings, ball joints, upper strut bearings.

While you have the car up, you can turn the wheels to one side, put the car
in neutral (remember the jackstands and wheel blocks). Then take wheel and
turn it slowly. Listen for any noises, and feel for any resistance as the
wheel turns. It may be hard to feel with the big wheel on there, so you may
have to remove the drive shaft and feel it that way. It should be real
smooth, without any hangups or resistance. Make sure anything you feel is
not from uneven brake rotors.

Also, make a better description of when the sound occurs, (i.e. Cruising,
coasting, accelerating, braking, turning, speed, rpm=B9s, bumps, rough road,
etc. ).  Mix and match conditions to narrow down the possibilities.

On 1/3/02 8:08 AM, "Chris M" <pb1113@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I'm getting a clunking noise coming from the front end while I'm drivin=
> down the road.  I jacked the car up and played with the front axles and t=
hey
> seem fine, but I think its a bad cv joint.  Could this be right?
> =20
> Thanks!
> =20
> Chris M.
> 82 8v Scirocco
> 88 16v Scirocco
> 70 MGB (wife's car)
> 76 Chevy Laguna
> http://www.geocities.com/vw16vmp3scirocco/
> pb1113@hotmail.com
>=20
>=20

--B_3092903865_5774647

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [mk2][8v] Clunk Clunk</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Clunking is usually not used to describe the sound fro=
m CV&#8217;s, the sounds they make are due to being internally worn, and as =
the joint moves while turning, the steel balls inside move over the worn par=
t. It is usually heard while turning, but is always depentant on the speed o=
f rotation. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Many things cause clunking up front. &nbsp;Usually items are worn and allow=
 play between large heavy components, check motor mounts, control arm bushin=
gs, sway bar bushings, ball joints, upper strut bearings. <BR>
<BR>
While you have the car up, you can turn the wheels to one side, put the car=
 in neutral (remember the jackstands and wheel blocks). Then take wheel and =
turn it slowly. Listen for any noises, and feel for any resistance as the wh=
eel turns. It may be hard to feel with the big wheel on there, so you may ha=
ve to remove the drive shaft and feel it that way. It should be real smooth,=
 without any hangups or resistance. Make sure anything you feel is not from =
uneven brake rotors. <BR>
<BR>
Also, make a better description of when the sound occurs, (i.e. Cruising, c=
oasting, accelerating, braking, turning, speed, rpm&#8217;s, bumps, rough ro=
ad, etc. ). &nbsp;Mix and match conditions to narrow down the possibilities.=
 <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 1/3/02 8:08 AM, &quot;Chris M&quot; &lt;pb1113@hotmail.com&gt; wrote:<BR=

<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Hi all,<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm getting a clunking noise coming from the front end while I'=
m driving down the road. &nbsp;I jacked the car up and played with the front=
 axles and they seem fine, but I think its a bad cv joint. &nbsp;Could this =
be right? &nbsp;<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks!<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Chris M.<BR>
82 8v Scirocco<BR>
88 16v Scirocco<BR>
70 MGB (wife's car)<BR>
76 Chevy Laguna<BR>
http://www.geocities.com/vw16vmp3scirocco/<BR>
pb1113@hotmail.com<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3092903865_5774647--