Opinion on Oil

> > 1. What synthetic oil gives the best protection?

There are so many top brands.... take your pick

> > 2. What are your thoughts on Mobil 1 Vs. Red Line?

There are 3 synthetic stock bases that manufacturers use for synth. oil.
Redline uses the best stock, and mobil one uses the lowest.  My experience has
been that the better the base, the longer it will last.  I occasionally send
oil samples from different vehicles to be analyzed, and have found at 5K miles
mobil 1 starts to breakdown where redline, amsoil, etc show no signs of
breakdown at 7.5K +.  I change the Scirocco's oil at 3-4K mi. so mobil 1 is
fine.

There are reams of oil info on the net, some good, some not.  There used to be
a a guy on the GTI vr6 list that was a chemical engineer for Mobil, he had all
the info.

Matt
'87 16v