Front sway bar location

>Ken,
>   What year is your mk1?  If it is a pre-'81 you will find out that there
>is an interference issue on the passenger side where the fuel lines run
>under
>the body...the rear mount point for the front swaybar will interfere with
>the lines.  So, you would first have to relocate the lines slightly...
>Then comes the issue of the necessity for a front swaybar.  If you plan to

1979  Yes I have encountered this when I "traded-up" with all the 16v
running gear/front susp.  The rear trailing arm brackets are longer (toward
the rear) to accomodate an attached stud for attachment of the sway bar.
This bracket "extension" is what wants to crush the fuel lins against the
under side.  So yes I had to do a little creative bending.  But that little
part is behind me

>drive the car on the street only, then I would leave it off.  The only time
>I would add the front swaybar on a mk1 is if you are doing track events or
>something where higher speed cornering stability is desired.  I would not
>recommend using a front bar larger than the stock "16v" front bar.
>This is all IMO, of course.  ;)
Taken under advisement.  I think I understand the suspensiopn 101 theory
that front anti roll bars increase the tendency to "plow" the front wheels
straight when you are trying to turn (Understeer) and I would NOT use one of
these w/o a rear also.  Which I am doing.  In the interest of balance I will
be doing front and rear stock 16v swaybars.  This I think will avoid the
problem you might have thought I was making for myself w/ a front only.  The
rear axle swap (to get the discs) got me the rear one.
Thanks for the advice.
Ken