Front sway bar location

--- Ken Bates <indiana_red@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It occurs to me, especially after all this recent talk of sway bars, that I
> dont remember how it goes in there.  Roughly it is a large squared off "U"
> shape.  2 mounting points on the outer area of the control arms near the
> wheel but does the "U" shape extend forward?... it must.  Then it should
> have 2 pivot points/bushings way up under the radiator area right.  Or is
> that upside down?  BTW I am going to try to stick with the one that came w/
> my 15V "parts" car.  I know there are better ones out there.
> Neuspeed/Autotech but that will have to be a later upgrade as $ allows.
> Thanks for any info.

Ken,
  What year is your mk1?  If it is a pre-'81 you will find out that there
is an interference issue on the passenger side where the fuel lines run under
the body...the rear mount point for the front swaybar will interfere with
the lines.  So, you would first have to relocate the lines slightly...
Then comes the issue of the necessity for a front swaybar.  If you plan to
drive the car on the street only, then I would leave it off.  The only time
I would add the front swaybar on a mk1 is if you are doing track events or
something where higher speed cornering stability is desired.  I would not
recommend using a front bar larger than the stock "16v" front bar.
This is all IMO, of course.  ;)

The front bar mount to the rear control arm pivot and to the top-side
center of the control arm (you may have to drill the holes for the mounting
brackets).

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v