bye-bye yellow car

I feel for you.  I had my 92 SLC for 36 months.  It had 70,000 miles on it
when I sold it.  My payment on it was $350.  In the time that I owned it
replaced the fan motor ($500), replaced the other side of the cooling fan
($180) the clutch, clutch slave and master, fiddled with it oveheating for
about a year, until I found where battery acid had eaten some of the harness
(fixed the AC at the same time!), had 2 broken windshields, broken into 3
times (2 doors and 1 window) and had some one steal the grill.  I also
replaced the driving lights and had a few small dents pulled out of the
passenger door and repainted.  Then the head gasket started leaking water,
so I took the head off.  Not only had the gasket gone bad but all the
exhaust valves were bent.  I found that the timing chain tensioner had lost
it's backing and the chain had too much slack in it.  So I rebuilt the head
and removed the tranny and timing chain cover to replace a $20 part,.  Then
I also found that the hydraulic tensioner for the chain was bad too.  I
rebuilt the head the correct way with all new springs and seals too.  New
head bolts were $240.00.    I probably had $800 in the head rebuild.  That
and a bizzilion small plastic things broke under the hood.  Oh, and a new
heater face plate, $50.  I'm sure there's ton's of other stuff I've
forgotten.

Then the guy bought it from me and 3 months later it went boom.  I checked
the chain when I had it apart and didn't see any damage.  To beat it all
when I had the head off I had a stroke and ended up in the hospital for a
month.  I really had a hard time getting it back together and had to have
the help of a few friends.

Any way to sum it up my payment was $350 month,  to keeping it running and
fixing the all the unexpected damge to the car cost me anothe $320 a month ,
not including insurance.  I even had my deducatable lowered to $100 after
the gitting hit for $500 for a broken windshield and then another $500 the
next month for a break in.

I loved the car, and would like another, but only as a garage queen that
only saw very limited use.

Alan