Necessity of a oil cooler [with a THERMOSTAT] in 16v rocco?

jester@westfailure.net wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Shawn C Meze wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 19:56:26 -0800 T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> writes:
> > >josh Wyte wrote:
> >
> > >btw- I have a thermostat mount and one of two hoses but need the multi
> > >row cooler still.
> >

> > Heh! I have the multi row cooler and lines, dont have a thermostat
> > sandwich plate. :)
>
> I plan on using a non-thermostat plate, and a 2nd gen RX7 oil cooler.
>
> Its huge, designed so it will fit perfectly in a roc, and has a built in
> thermostat.
>
> What more could i ask for? oh yeah, cheap & readily available at junkyards
> :)
> take care,
> Steve

Well, this may be better than no oil cooler at all but if you are able
to spec the thing before you purchase you definitely want to have one
with a thermostat. Why? Because you don't want to run the oil too cool
either. I would go with a  regular Water cooling thermostat (stock temp)
to offset the oil cooler.

(If this is an all out racing motor then, well, you know- blah, blah,
blah.)

Another good thing about having an oil cooler is it increases the total
amount of oil in the system.

TBerk