Gearbox woes - update & further question

Managed to patch the crack my gearbox case over the weekend so it is no
longer leaking. Don't feel terribly happy about it as a long term prospect
though.  My question is: how easy is it to change the case, assuming that
the box is out of the car.  By the case, I mean the largest section that
incorporates the selector mechanism, speedo & reverse switch ports, etc.
There's nothing wrong with the bellhousing side. I have a spare box which is
terminally ill but the case appears to be intact.

regards,

Ewan Hopkins
'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.6