84 Jetta......tragic death on highway (HELP)

84 Jetta 1.7l engine

In the beginning of January on a very cold day after sitting for two weeks
while I was on vacation.  I attempted to drive my Jetta to work. On the way
I noticed that I had no heat coming into the car from the heater and started
to worry that the thermostat was stuck and hoped to get it replaced when I
got to work.  15 miles down the road I lost all power from the engine and
then it died when I stopped on the side of the road.  I found it had puked
up at least a quart maybe two of oil out of the engine into the Fuel
distributor and it leaked out of the air intake ductwork.  I think the oil
may have somehow been sent over by the hose that connects top of the head to
the air cleaner.  The car turns over but does not attempt to start(and it
just doesn't sound right)....there is spark....and to no surprise there is a
large amount of oil in all of the air ductwork over to the intake
manifold.......................have since re-set the timing but no
luck....my first hope was that it skipped some teeth on the timing belt but
I am getting out of my league in diagnosing this problem

and lastly if there is some catastrophic damage to the engine can I
determine that without completely tearing it down??

thanks

PS make sure you send this to me directly since I am unfortunately on the
digest