Three-Wheelin' on lug studs

Last week my front wheel came off while going down the road.
Seems that the lug studs backed completely out, and when the
last one came off, so did the tire.  I was going about 35mph,
thank goodness no one got hurt.
I inspected the threads where the studs were screwed in,
and didn't find any damage.
I purchased the '87 16v with aftermarket wheels.  In order for the
wheels to fit, someone had to replace the standard lug bolts with lug
stud/nut combo.
After my wheel incident, needless to say, I replaced all four aftermarket
wheels with
the stock wheels from my parts car, and installed the standard
lug bolts.
In order to sell my parts car, which runs pretty good, I want to
place the aftermarket wheels on it.
Now I'm four lug studs shy, and have a low confidence level in the
lug studs in general.  (very tramatic experience running on three wheels)
Here are my questions:
- I need to locate replacement lug studs (I couldn't find the four
which fell off)  I've found that Pep Boys, parts stores, VW repair shops,
don't have them.  Half-a#$ aftermarket wheel shops won't touch the issue
because there must be some great liability issue (as I have
experienced first-hand)  Where can I get these lug studs (12mmx1.5x1.75)?
- Any preventative measures I can take to avoid this from happening?
Thread lock? I have some, but should I use something really heavy duty?  How
about welding.  It's permanent, but I'd sleep a lot better
at night knowing I didn't sell a car with wheels that would fall off.
Any suggestions? Comments?  Personal testimonials?