Fuel pump Q?

I may have asked this already.  Call it absent-mindedness.

I have replaced both fuel pumps on my '84.  Yet, the fuel pump sound
is STILL loud. I confirmed that the transfer pump is actually running
- I put my hand on the cover with the back seat out of the way, and
it's vibrating.

Does anyone else have loud fuel pumps that they know aren't gonna
crap out on them?  I am hesitant to take the car any distance.

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |