OT? -- communter car search

> I have driven the nose heavy mexi built A3 VR6s...no thanks.

Yes, that they are... as with any VW - nose heavy.

> And that price per gallon isn't going to always be that way.   Remember...this was
> for a commuter car...gas mileage adds up fast when you are commuting far
> every day....sorry...TDI makes 10x more sense for a commuter or a long
> term car....you driven a TDI yet Mike?

Yes, I drove a 110/170 TDI in Germany and also a 90/150 TDI in Utah.
Commuter car or not, I enjoy driving.  The TDI doesn't give me that
driving enjoyment.  If I didn't mind having a slow car, my first choice
would be a TDI.  I would definitely take a TDI over the 2.0 gas.  I
drive 60 miles back and forth to work.  27 mpg is fine for me because
the performance and decent acceleration is worth it.  When gas was
$1.90, it was still worth it.

> Oh...and...155 ft lbs STOCK.  One chip later, close to 200 ft lbs and 120
> hp.  Add larger injectors, intake and exhaust, hp hits close to 150 and
> torque *can* be close to 300 (if you know what you are doing....don't
> believe me?  read up on www.tdiclub.com....dyno charts to prove it)

Yep, well aware of all that, but there goes your long term car idea.
The car would break itself apart with that much torque.  Josh Wyte can
tell us how well Mk4 motor mounts hold up.

> Stay away from mexican built A3s...thats all I have to say...

I had two Mexi-built VR6 cars (97 Jetta GLX and 95 GTI VR6).  I would
not say they are bad cars, but I would recommend 97 or newer.  It seems
like 95 and 96 weren't built as well as the 97 and up.  You can get a
97ish VR6 Jetta for $11k these days, possibly even less.  Yes, they
handle like ass, but so does every other stock VW.  VR6 VWs do make
great street cars. That new 24V VR6 with 6 speed sounds very appealing.
But then again, for the price there is the WRX...  :-)

Speaking of Subies, congrats to Neal Tovsen for the impressive showing
at last week's ProSolo!  Just 3/10ths behind Carpenter.  Damn.

Mike