what is your worst speeding ticket incident...

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 09:41:42AM -0600, jester@westfailure.net wrote:

> to start a new thread: whats the worst speeding ticket(s) you ever got?
> (i/e how bad did it get in a single run in with the man?)

Warning: tale of late teenage stupidity ahead:

Back in the day, I went to college at Georgia Tech.  I'm originally from
Long Island, NY.  I was home for summer break.  My Georgia license plate
expired in mid-august, and I was couldn't renew it by mail because I
needed the Georgia emissions test done.  I thought, no prob, I'll just
renew it when I get to school in early september.  I had also forgotten
that my insurance expired around the same time as the plate.  It turned
out that my license had been suspended in GA for a speeding ticket that I
had paid, but the licencing dept. had never been notified of the
payment.  I did not know this because the notice had been mailed to my
campus PO box, and I had been in NY for 3 months.

Anyway, getting pulled over for anything with that stuff would lead anyone
to a world of hurt, bt it gets worse.  I was driving to my summer
job.  for once Sunrise Higway was moving well, and I was cruising at about
65 in a 55.  Suddenly, some guy in a black Escort, lowered, with limo-tint
windows is tailgating me, like less than a carlength behind.  The traffic
is pretty light, so I move over a lane to let him pass, but he moves over
and stays behind me.  I move another lane, he follows.  So, I decide to
get that hemmoroid off my ass, floor it, and take the 16v to 100 or so,
changing lanes to avoid some traffic.  Bye-bye, escort.

A few miles later, I had slowed to 70, and 2 cop cars zoomed off the
entrance ramp, boxed me in, turned on the flashers and sirens.  I pulled
over,  they yelled "STAY IN THE CAR AND DONT MOVE", so I did.  They both
drew their guns, and one guy kept his pointed at my head while the other
hauled me out of the car, put me on my face, and cuffed me.  About this
time, the black Escort (remember him?)  pulled up.  Turns out he was an
undercover narcotics officer.  So, I got hauled to jail to be charged, the
car was impounded and they tore the interior apart looking for drugs, and
I recieved citations for:

Driving on Suspended Liscense
Unregisterd motor vehicle
no proof of insurance
uninspected motor vehicle (NY requires inspections)
Over 90 in a 55
Improper lane change
reckless driving
evading an officer/resisting arrest (this one was thrown out because the
Escort was unmarked and made no attempt to pull me over himself)

So, I had my license revoked for 6 months, and had to pay close to 2 grand
in court costs and fines.  Let my stupidity be a lesson to you.

Dan

--
Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.