I have a plan... RE: help! gearbox woes (long)

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Consensus seems to be that epoxy is
worth a try, so the plan is - I can get by with the temporary patch till the
weekend then drain the box on Saturday morning, leave it for a few hours,
degrease & and clean-up around the crack, roughen it up & patch with some
epoxy, leave it to cure then paint over the epoxy with something durable
like hammerite just to give a bit of extra chip & moisture protection. I
think the TIG weld option is probably a non-starter at the moment, unless
the epoxy solution doesn't work.

Thanks again,

Ewan Hopkins
'85 Storm 2.0