help! gearbox woes (long)

Well, that sucks.  Anyhow, I'd go for your idea pretty much as written
regarding cleaning the area and attempting a JB Weld or similar
solution.  What have you got to lose?  If it doesn't work, you're not
out much, and if it does, cool.  Let it drain overnight.  Check for
anything inside the case, and peek up at the ring gear to see if
there's anything abnormal looking (there should be two circumferential
grooves in the gears, they should all be smooth with no pitting etc.).

G/L - and where are you?

Ron